Friday, June 10, 2011

How I Ended Up Here


Back in December my family began the long process of adopting a child, my baby sister। One of the requirements is that we must live in Mexico for a year with her। Within a month we had chosen Mazatlan, Sinaloa as our home and rented a house. I am 14, in 9th grade in Canada which is 3rd of Secundaria here. My plan was to be going to school within a week of arriving but a week quickly turned to a month. We slowly found out about about more and more schools that we would have to investigate and each one wanted a huge stack of paperwork just to get a maybe on being allowed in. Some of the worst wanted my birth certificate, my parent's marriage certificate, original copies of my grade records all the way back to grade 2 and a signed certificate of approval from my Canadian principal. Eventually we settled on a school about a kilometer and a half from our house. My 10 year old brother Rob and I had to get at least 86% on a test for math, makes sense, but they also wanted us to take a test for our English skills. We are not from French Canada. During the tests the director of the school was sitting right across her desk from me. I found 12 mistakes on the math test that I could point out to her, everything from impossible questions to missing decimals. At one point she called one of the math teachers while he was teaching a class to ask him if I was right, turns out I was. Anyways, they seemed happy enough with our results but decided that that was the time to tell us that Rob's grade was already full to the legal limit. He ended up going to a different school. My grade wasn't full so I got passed on to the step of awaiting approval from the owner of the school. I have no idea why this is relevent, he is just a businessman that makes money off of the inscription fees but he has it so that every new student has to get a special stamp on their documents from him. Another week passed and I got the okay, so I bought a uniform and started Tuesday. By this time I couldn't stand sitting around the house anymore and was overjoyed to get something to do 5 days a week.


Click Here for a blog with more details about my tropical adventures earlier this Winter, it covers up until the time that Rob, my mom and I returned to Canada for awhile

No comments:

Post a Comment